Crock Pot Hoppin John: Slow Cooker Hoppin John Recipe
What is Hoppin John?
Why do people eat hoppin john on New Years?
Hoppin John recipe
- 16 ounces dried black-eyed peas, soaked overnight and rinsed well
- 1 pound 16 ounces Andouille Sausage, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 quart (4 cups) low sodium chicken broth
- 10 ounce can Rotel Original Tomatoes and Chilies
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups steamed white rice
Once your beans are ready put them directly into your slow cooker.
add broth and sliced sausage. Stir in the rotel.
Finally, Add greens, and sprinkle on the salt and pepper.
Cover the greens will be tough to fit in but get them in (They’ll shrivel up once they’re cooked)
Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or until the beans are soft. If you need it faster Cooking on High for 6 will also work 🙂
After it’s cooked stir well.
Finally , stir in the rice or serve rice first and use a ladle to pour the Hoppin’ John mixture.
Some tips for cooking Hoppin John
While cooking the smell of the collards will be strong! My mom kept thinking something was burning. However, the taste is well worth the “smell”.
Ways to serve Hoppin John