Having been a Special Education teacher years ago I saw how readily kids were given medication due to hyperactive behavior. For many parents this may seem like the only answer when they have a child that feels like their out of control.
We all know that kids are extremely active and energetic, but to the adult eye it can sometimes be a bit much to handle – especially if your child has been diagnosed as hyperactive. To help parents with hyperactive children calm their child, instead of going the risky route of traditional medication, the below Top Herbal Remedies for Hyperactive Children from world-renowned herbalist, Dr. Christopher Hobbs, Ph.D., L.Ac, A.H.G of Rainbow Light, are a great natural alternative to prescription pills – to safely calm and soothe a hyperactive child.
I’ve tried a few of these with my kids and have seen a big change.
Top Herbal Remedies for Hyperactive Children
By Dr. Christopher Hobbs, Ph.D., L.Ac, A.H.G. of Rainbow Light:
- Red Clover Blossom — an excellent choice in any tea blend, as it is considered a “blood purifier” as well as a gentle nerve relaxant. Would facilitate in cleansing the blood of toxins/chemicals, while calming and is recommended used over a long period of time. Use as a tea–1 tsp/cup of water; steep 20 minutes, drink 1/2 cup morning and evening.
- Chamomile — safe, effective, gentle and good-tasting relaxant for children.
- Lime Blossom — stronger but still a safe, relaxing herb.
- Valerian — a central nervous system relaxant; excellent as a tea or fresh plant liquid or powdered extract, one of the strongest natural herbal sedatives, but non-narcotic and not habit-forming.
- Catnip — another mild sleep aid and relaxing herb, safe for children.
- California Poppy — a safe sedative for children; recommended for hyperactivity and sleeplessness.
- Wild Lettuce — safe and mild sleep aid and sedative; usually mixed with other herbs.
- Lemon Balm — lemon-tasting herb which has a mild relaxing effect.
- Avena (wild oats) — Hyperactivity is a form of stress, so children should also be treated with a nervine tonic and nutritive, as well as vitamin C and B-complex vitamins.
*Note: Parents can benefit from the above mentioned as well, as they are also under a fair amount of stress with a hyperactive child.
Dr. Christopher Hobbs, Ph.D., L.Ac., A.H.G., Director at Rainbow Light – With over 35 years of experience in the health space and as a licensed herbalist at Rainbow Light, Dr. Hobbs has immense experience in the specialties of vitamins, holistic health medicine, natural products, organic, wellness and diet/weight loss and has worked closely with clients to help them achieve optimal health. Following a “whole, simple and nutritious” diet approach, Dr. Hobbs actively motivates clients to participate in personally designed health plans while educating clients on the immense benefits of a clean diet outlook. Hobbs has authored 25 books, including Herbal Remedies for Dummies and Women’s Herbs, Women’s Health. He shares his knowledge of herbal medicine with consumers and educators all over the world through lectures, and utilized his expertise in this field to found the Institute for Natural Products Research. He also serves as a consultant to the herb industry.